[FFmpeg-devel] DVCPRO HD: request for review

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Sep 2 23:42:14 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 07:46:29PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Roman Shaposhnik <rvs at sun.com> writes:

>> > It is nice to see that I'm not alone in considering this particular
>> > policy to be suboptimal. Although, now that I'm using Git, it doesn't
>> > bug me all that much that I have to split "code transactions", yet
>> > it still leads to polluted history if you ask me.
>>
>> I agree, but I won't pick a fight over it.
>
> There is noone with whom you could pick a fight with i think. If you
> can automate spliting commits in functional parts + indention
> changes of otherwise unchanged code i suspect few would complain.
> Of course this must work in practice, which includes svn di (-x -w) and
> developers not messing up like commiting unrelated cosmetics together with
> functional changes. After all this is just about spliting reindention
> when adding/removing a if/else/for ...
>
> moving code around, renaming variables, ... all still would have to be split
> by hand.
> in that light its also not clear to me if this automatic spliting is worth it
> but i surely do not object if (and only if) it does work in practice.

You seem to have missed my point.  I don't really like the splitting
at all, whether manual or automatic.  IMO it only serves to clutter
the revision history.  Now I know you disagree, and it doesn't bother
me enough that I want to argue about it, so let's just leave it there.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com