[FFmpeg-devel] New FFmpeg-based Project

Benjamin Larsson banan
Thu Sep 4 21:53:13 CEST 2008

groo wanderer wrote:
> It appears that Avid has incorporated FFmpeg into its Pinnacle Studio Version 12 software,
> apparently to handle web upload encoding
>
> After an install of Studio 12, the directory
>
> C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\Studio 12\Plugins\Export
>
> contains a copy of ffmpeg.exe.
>
> One thing of note:
>
> The original Pinnacle Studio 12's version of ffmpeg.exe listed itself as under LGPL when
> executed as "ffmpeg -version".  An updated copy of ffmpeg.exe has been distributed with
> the most recent Studio 12 Beta patch (version 6480), which shows an August 18, 2008
> build date, but includes no mention of LGPL?  Neither does any of the Studio 12
> documentation include any mention of FFmpeg or LGPL - but hopefully this means that
> Avid has properly licensed ffmpeg directly from the coypright holder using an appropriate
> commercial license?

Lol, no they did ask me for a commercial license. They are playing it
safe with distributing the exe, they just failed to mention that they
distribute FFmpeg under the LGPL and the actual license.

What about posting a big newsflash about this, should get the attention
from them? After this is confirmed of course.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson