[FFmpeg-devel] Droping old scaler

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Sep 5 02:02:26 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 04:33:38PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I will remove the old scaler as soon as the regression tests pass with
> > swscale. We have had 2 scalers for long enough and it caused enough problems
> > with noone working on fixing anything. Keeping 2 scalers causes time to be
> > wasted on maintaining both ...
>
> I agree with this.
>

> > If the GPL parts bother you then now is your last chance to do something
> > about it, i will not delay the old scaler removal due that nor due to minor
> > regressions. If a minor regression bothers you, send a patch.
>
> I hope you don't consider jpeg colorspace problem minor.

no, are there any other issues that are not minor?

> Im clearly not happy with the GPL state of libswscale, and I'd like
> corresponding part of the code to be isolated so it can be easier to
> reimplement them, I might have a look at it.

see yuv2rgb.c or better do not look and just look at the tables it generates
but note the parts of this file are written by me and these parts of that file
can be used under LGPL.

And the asm is under #ifdef HAVE_MMX and such so it can be easily disabled.

> IIRC SIMD is GPL, the old scaler does not have SIMD anyway, can we
> emphasize which part is GPL exactly ? This code is old...
>

> If nobody wants to isolate GPL parts exactly, well I will vote for
> _removing_ GPL parts.

I vote for keeping the asm optimzations.

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch