[FFmpeg-devel] Droping old scaler

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Sep 5 16:19:27 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 04:06:37PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I will remove the old scaler as soon as the regression tests pass with
> > swscale. We have had 2 scalers for long enough and it caused enough problems
> > with noone working on fixing anything. Keeping 2 scalers causes time to be
> > wasted on maintaining both ...
>
> I agree with everything, but wouldn't it be better to go for a "softer"
> strategy such as:

> 1) remove the old scaler interface first (as far as I remember, we
>     just need to increase the lavc version)

patch welcome

> 2) after that, make swscale the default, having a "--disable-swscale"
>     switch for enabling the old scaler. When such option is selected,
>     it prints something like "WARNING! On 2009/1/1, the old scaler will
>     be selected, and this option will be removed" (2009/1/1 is just an
>     example)
> 3) on 2009/1/1, remove the scaler

I dont see the point in this, its more work for us and some people will
waste time trying to keep using the old scaler. Id like to keep the time
we have 2 scalers short, they coexisted long enough and people could have
guessed we would drop the old eventually. So this really shouldnt be a
surprise for anyone.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle