[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AAC Encoder, now more optimal

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Sat Sep 6 14:12:22 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/9/6 Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com>:

>>> Is it possible to test your encoder with the files you sent?
>>> I tried ~/Prgm/ffmpeg/ffmpeg -i flog.flac -acodec aac ~/Music/flog.m4a
>>> but I'm getting:
>>> FFmpeg version SVN-r15217, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
>>>  configuration: --enable-gpl
>>>  libavutil     49.10. 0 / 49.10. 0
>>>  libavcodec    51.71. 0 / 51.71. 0
>>>  libavformat   52.22. 0 / 52.22. 0
>>>  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
>>>  built on Sep  6 2008 13:04:25, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
>>> Input #0, flac, from 'met080814d1_01_Creeping_Death.flac':
>>>  Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
>>>    Stream #0.0: Audio: flac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16
>>> Unknown encoder 'aac'
>>>
>>> I copied all 4 files to ffmpeg/libavcodec/
>>
>> You would need to patch the build system too. As I recall I added a
>> checkout script to the aacenc SoC dir a while ago. I'm not sure if it
>> will still work though.
>
> Yep, found it. Thanks.
> BTW, in order to compile, the AAC encoder also needs aac.h file from SOC.

Ok, I tested your encoder with some Rock music. I was a bit
disapointed by the quality of the encoded audio file: it isn't good. I
guess it's OK though since the deal is really more to have an LGPL
encoder.

The good news however is that the resulting file had no problem being
played by other "reference" decoders: FAAD, iTunes, and my iPod.

Keep it up Kostya!

Guillaume
--
One should not give up hope on imbeciles. With a little training, you
can make them into soldiers.