[FFmpeg-devel] [TeX] DCA subband transform

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Sep 7 17:34:42 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 07:31:52PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> > It would be more interresting to know if every "pseudo"QMF is a windowed
> > *DCT and if every windowed *DCT is a "pseudo"QMF
>
> Good idea. However, I don't know the definition of a windowed *DCT, except
> for the case when there are only two overlapped windows. I.e., Wikipedia
> says:
>
> > MDCT ... has half as many outputs as inputs (instead of the same
> > number). In particular, it is a linear function F : R^{2N} -> R^{N} (where
> > R denotes the set of real numbers).
>
> (i.e., they use N as the number of MDCT outputs, and, thus, IMDCT inputs)
>
> Further, they say:
>
> > In typical signal-compression applications, the transform properties are
> > further improved by using a window function wn (n = 0, ..., 2N-1)
>
> ...and then discuss that the window must be shifted by the half of its
> length each time, and write the Princen-Bradley condition that applies only
> to this case.

Well i would define windowed *dct as any dct (not just type IV) and any
length, actually i think considering the dct output to extend to +-infinity
and the window just having finite non zero coefficients is a better way to
define it.

> I.e., their window has twice as many points as the number of MDCT outputs,
> which is not the case for DCA, while DCA and MP2 have 32 IMDCT inputs and
> 512 points in the window, and I don't know the equivalent of the
> Princen-Bradley condition for this situation.

Princen-Bradley is IIRC just an easy way to proof orthogonality

Also i belive that any "infinitly extended" orthogonal transform T that is
windowed can be inverted by applying the same window and the
"infinitly extended" inverse transform of T as long as the whole windowed
transform is orthogonal.

a sketch of a proof for that would be
assume t is our orthogonal transform (NxN matrix, maybe a DCT)

then the "extended" transform would be T
the window w0..wM

and the transform equation could be written as

W*T*input = output where W and T are matrixes:

w0                                      .
 .                                      .
  .                                     .
   .                                    t
    wN       w0                          t
     .        .                          .
      .        .                     *   .    *  input = output
       .        .                        .
        w2N      wN        w0            t
         .         .        .             t
          .         .        .            .
           .         .        .           .
            wM        w2N      wN         .

now if W*T is a orthogonal transform then (W*T)^-1 = (W*T)^T
and T^T * W^T is our inverse and as ^T is just the transpose that
really is
1. apply same window
2. sum stuff up
3. apply I(M)DCT

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes