[FFmpeg-devel] dealing with tables in DV codec

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Tue Sep 9 22:51:06 CEST 2008

Guys,

as I promised, I tried to come with alternative ways of dealing
with macroblock placement in DV codec, and it seems that no
matter what I use on Xeon and Opteron it is basically a toss up.
There's no speed gain, there's no speed loss. The tables can
go so it is a net gain. Now, on SPARC I see a stable speed
loss of about ~3% or so. And I suspect that the same will
be true on any chip with a low clock speed.

Now, I'm publishing a temporary diff to solicit public comments
on how the calculations can be optimized even further. If nobody
comes up with any kind of good ideas -- I don't know what to do.
Michale has always told us that even ~3% is significant enough.
So it needs to be dealt with before any change can occur.

Thanks,
Roman.