[FFmpeg-devel] I Make VC-1 encoder source code available

François Revol revol
Tue Sep 9 23:11:21 CEST 2008

> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:07 -0400, Malik Ciss? wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I developed a software model of a VC-1 encoder in ansi-C for my
> > company
> >  (for a hardware development).
> > We would like to  make the encoder sources available to public
> > domain.

"public domain" as in "public domain" ? Or just as in "available to the
public as opensource or freesoftware" ?

Whatever you do, make sure you understand the differences between
public domain, opensource, and free software :)

You might want to choose the licence depending on how much control you
want to keep over it. GPL (or LGPL which would suit ffmpeg better)
makes sure you get the modifications back. BSD licences on the other
hand allows anyone to use it regardless. It all depends on the policies
your company has about that.

Fran?ois.