[FFmpeg-devel] dealing with tables in DV codec

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Wed Sep 10 21:46:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 21:37 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Thanks for saying this. On one hand Michael uses embedded systems
> > as a constant argument in favor of optimizing for such
> > platforms, but on the other hand there's a clear x86 tilt
> > that I see.
>
> /me cleans romans glasses.
>
> I suggest you ask balatoni denes about how easy it was to get a half optimal
> sparc vis idct into ffmpeg.

I'm actually unaware of what you are referring to. Please educate me.
What I'm aware of, though, is that Sun's medialib on SPARC seems to
perform better than what's currently in FFmpeg (for obvious reasons).
So one of the things I'm trying to do is to see whether the code
that is really needed for FFmpeg (medialib is huge, we only need
like 2% of it) could be OSed under a reasonable license that would
allow direct inclusion into FFmpeg sources.

Should I stop it?

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Well, not that there's any guarantee that my efforts are
bound to be successful even if I continue, but still.