[FFmpeg-devel] dealing with tables in DV codec

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Sep 11 01:56:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:27:21PM -0700, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 15:51 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:51:06PM -0700, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> > >
> > > Now, on SPARC I see a stable speed loss of about ~3% or so.
> >
> > While we're discussing performance: qdv still performs about 50% better
> > than FFmpeg on certain samples, do you know the reason?  An example is
> >
> > http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/DVSD/henrich-weirdqt.mov
>
> Wow! That's news to me. Thanks for bringing this up. I'm not familiar
> with qdv. What is it? How can I test with it?

It's a binary codec for DV that MPlayer can use.  It performs up to 50%
better than FFmpeg on some samples.  Not on all samples though, for a
few FFmpeg is slightly faster, but most of the time qdv wins by a
considerable and sometimes even huge margin.  Just try all DV samples
from the MPlayer collection.

Diego