[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Frans de Boer frans
Sat Sep 13 22:40:35 CEST 2008

Dear Members,

I found that any svn version after 15241 causes libquicktime and
cinelerra not to be compiled due to changes in 15270 and later. Probally
there are more products which can no longer be compiled due to FFmpeg
changes.

The notion of 'error_resilience' being changed to 'error_recognition' is
- so it seems - just semantics, so why change at all? Libquicktime
chokes because 'bits_per_sample' seems to have vanished.

Yes, I know: ffmpeg is not stable, but since it's around already a long
time and many projects are using it, they also depend on it. Changing
for semantic reasons is - in my view - not done within the same branch,
and changing API's in such an advanced state is something which should
belong into a separate branche anyhow.

May I have your feedback on the above statements?
Kind Regards,
Frans de Boer.