[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Sun Sep 14 13:23:00 CEST 2008

Disclaimer: the answers below are my view and do not necessarily
represent the view of other developers.

On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 13:04, Frans de Boer wrote:
> Ok, how else would you call a product

FFmpeg is not a product.

> which has almost every day changes
> and for which there is no substitute in the form an archive.

There is SVN history. You can checkout any revision you like.

> Suppose,
> that I started yesterday using FFmpeg because libquicktime and/or
> cinelerra are asking for it. I can not get it compiled and I have no
> clue which SVN version I need to get it compiled - assuming I am that
> advanced that I know how to use the SVN command!?

Then you should either learn or have someone else do it for you.

> It was not intended as a complaint, but if I should make one: why are
> you not providing a "stable" package?

As explained numerous times on this list, we have neither the manpower
nor the will to do that. If someone steps in to take the role of
a release manager, good luck to him.

> In the rest of the world, it is
> assumed that using code directly out of svn or cvs is regarded as
> development and thus you are on your own risk.

Well, in our little corner of the world, SVN HEAD is considered stable.

Personally, I maintain ffmpeg packages for Fedora and I have no problem
following ffmpeg-cvslog and -devel to ensure I don't break ABI when
doing updates.

> Also, as developer you have a responsibility towards your "clients",
> unless of course you are involved with FFmpeg for your own benefit only.

I think that's how most open-source projects work. FFmpeg is no exception.
Most of us do this because we want to, for fun. Some of us are probably
getting paid to work on FFmpeg (I'm not sure). Of course we're open to
reasonable requests, but we can grant them only if there's someone willing
to work on them and has the time to do so. You can also try to hire some
FFmpeg developer to do the work for you.

> Don't follow the Redmond way, showing disrespect for your clients. Let
> the OSS community show how it it can be done too.

We do show respect to those who respect our work and the time we spend
doing it.

> So, either provide a "stable" archive or announce which svn version is
> the latest version honoring 3 years of backward compatibility and
> lastly: create a new branche to visually differentiate between
> compatibilities.

You are in no position to make demands unless you're willing to do the
work yourself and not even then. We accept any help we can get, but
barging in and demanding that we do something to your liking is not the
way to solve things around here (or anywhere else, for that matter,
unless you're paying good money).

Regards,
R.

PS. Please learn how to quote properly. I won't answer any more if you
    keep top-replying.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org
oppression to develop psychic muscles.