[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Sep 14 22:50:17 CEST 2008

Frans de Boer <frans at fransdb.nl> writes:

> Ok, It seems that my messages have stirred up some dust. except two
> typical - in my opinion - emotional engineers reactions I can understand
> most reactions.

Not only are you demanding, now you're condescending too.

> Yes, if I had the knowledge I would volunteer, but I never used svn
> before but only followed directions on the various web pages whenever it
> was required. Why would you put those directions there, if you assume
> that everyone must have intimate knowledge of svn? Since svn is the ONLY
> way to get the FFmpeg source, you might consider not using such
> assumption because the FFmpeg project - for viable reasons - can't
> provide anything else.

You can use a distribution package.  Or is that too complicated as
well?  Should we congratulate you for finding the power button on the
computer?

> So, yes: announcing like it's done now, is a step in the right
> direction. At least now I know what is the latest backward compatible
> svn release. And since I also have learned - out of necessity ;) - how
> to update (up or down) towards r15261, I can apply it.
> Suggestion: Add the comment 'svn update -r 15261' to restrict to libav*
> version 51 (until today I was not even aware of such a version number).
>
> Oh, one more thing: In my world it is common to top-reply (and I am

Then we don't like your world.  Please go back there, and don't come
here again.

> doing this for almost 29 years). But now I know that the FFmpeg

I see you're attempting a proof by doing-it-for-a-long-time approach.
That doesn't work in this world.

> project likes bottom-replies, I will respect that and hope that some
> people might learn someday that there are also other disciplines in
> this world.

You must be confused.  Which world are you talking about, ours or
yours?  They are, apparently, quite different.

> and....show me where I wrote "I demand". For some of you: Please,

It is easily possible to make a demand without actually using the word
"demand".

> try to read a little better and refrain from your personal
> interpretations.

You started it.  You came barging in like a wild boar, telling us how
we should do things, offering neither code nor money in return.

It is people like you who give FFmpeg a bad reputation.  If you and
your ilk adopted a more likeable attitude, we wouldn't have to be so
harsh in our replies.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com