[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Sun Sep 14 22:53:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 22:22, Frans de Boer wrote:
[...]
> Yes, if I had the knowledge I would volunteer, but I never used svn
> before but only followed directions on the various web pages whenever it
> was required. Why would you put those directions there, if you assume
> that everyone must have intimate knowledge of svn?

We assume nothing like that.

> Since svn is the ONLY way to get the FFmpeg source,

Not true.

[...]
> Oh, one more thing: In my world it is common to top-reply (and I am
> doing this for almost 29 years).

Forgive me if I find it hard to believe. Top-posting is a fairly
new phenomenon on the Internet and it was made a lot more popular
after Microsoft made it the default in their Outlook (Express)
application. Inline/interleaved-replying, on the other hand has always
been the gold standard on the Usenet even before WWW existed. Granted,
top-replying may be common for business e-mail, but when you come
to a mailing list, you should respect its posting rules.

> But now I know that the FFmpeg project
> likes bottom-replies, I will respect that and hope that some people
> might learn someday that there are also other disciplines in this world.

What makes you think we are unaware of that?

> and....show me where I wrote "I demand". For some of you: Please, try to
> read a little better and refrain from your personal interpretations.

Let me put back the quote, which you deleted:
> > So, either provide a "stable" archive or announce which svn version is
> > the latest version honoring 3 years of backward compatibility and
> > lastly: create a new branche to visually differentiate between
> > compatibilities.

That, to my non-native (so please forgive me if I'm wrong about this) English
ear, is a demand, even if you don't use the word itself. Little words like
"please" or "could you" would've made a world of difference. You might want
to keep that in mind the next time you start telling people what to do.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org