[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Robert Swain robert.swain
Mon Sep 15 01:49:09 CEST 2008

2008/9/15 Baptiste Coudurier <baptiste.coudurier at smartjog.com>:
> Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> You got it all backwards, Mans. It is people like you who give FFmpeg
>>> a bad reputation.
>>
>> +1.
>
> Sorry to jump in, but I think here Mans is clearly _right_ and I don't
> like your attitude, besides you should jump in doing releases,
> especially considering your implication in other projects doing releases
> of _ffmpeg_ itself, so I'd prefer you to remain silent.

The point wasn't that M?ns was wrong throughout, just on the point
that it's people like Frans that give FFmpeg a bad reputation because
they force the hand of the FFmpeg community to respond in an
inflammatory fashion which simply isn't true. Everyone here has
control over the way they phrase their messages to this list.

M?ns was pretty much entirely right in his other arguments but his
delivery was very poor. It is this offensive style of delivery about
which I was complaining and I think it is this that gives FFmpeg its
bad reputation.

People phrasing messages about how we should go about things in a
dictating fashion without having made effort to find certain bits of
information, like Frans did, demonstrate their own ignorance which is
nothing to do with FFmpeg.

At least the news post came out of it and some guidance about possible
solutions were directed to Frans.

Regards,
Rob