[FFmpeg-devel] New to the list

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Sat Sep 20 10:18:32 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:15 PM, abshnasko <abshnasko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on smaller projects I could start out
> with over the next couple of months just to sort of get my feet wet?

Of many of the things I listed, the larger project can be divided into
smaller subprojects, some of which are rather simple to do.

You could also implement a rather small feature or simple format to
get used to ffmpeg development.  There's a whole list of rather
unimportant/marginal but quite simple formats that can be implemented.

Or you could even make an exercise for yourself first.  One thing I
did as a weekend exercise a while back to learn the basics of the
internal ffmpeg API was to write my own very simple intra-only video
format with encoder and decoder; it was obviously not very good and a
lot of its code was borrowed, but I learned very quickly how to use
the bitstream reader/writer and other such related things.

Dark Shikari