[FFmpeg-devel] offensive signatures

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Sep 25 16:53:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 02:29:52PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> compn wrote:

> >> I think mailman has a feature to block mails based on keywords, doesn't
> >> it?  It should be fairly simple to get it to trigger on such signatures
> >> and put them in the moderation queue, where they could be summarily
> >> discarded...
> >>

> > discard automatically and send a reply why it was discarded...

Are you 2 sure that you are not overreacting a little?
Iam surely not happy about such signatures but discarding or moderating the
mails seems like using nukes to deal with flies, this likely would in
practice lead to more harm than good. That is we might never see some valuable
contributions because the people end up pissed from having their mails
discarded. And these signatures can be added by some mail servers and
requireing everyone who is unlucky enough, to post via some webmail thing
is a extra burden that may not be in relation to a few lines of text one
can quickly skip.
Besides it may not be obvious for some people where these signatures come
from or how to avoid them

> > -compn
>
> Yes, please do that, I don't think it is nice to silently put emails
> into moderation.

I dont really think the whole is such a good idea, neither discard
nor moderate ...

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.