[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: ffmpeg GPL violation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Sep 29 15:00:44 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:37:55AM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:06:05AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>
> >> Just got the following mail and as the author refuses to submit it to
> >> the bug tracker and i dont feel like being his secretary i forward it
> >> here.
> >
> > Added to the bug tracker and hall of shame.
>
> Out of curiosity, why don't we get a bit more aggressive with such
> violators?  I would think, at least in the case of American companies
> hosting violations, that a DMCA takedown notice would have a bit more
> impact than a hall of shame.

Why just the US? and why would you need the DMCA?
Any normal ISP should remove content that violates copyright, the reason
simply is if they do not, they might be liable in case of a lawsuit. I mean
their main defense of "not knowing about what is hosted on the severs of
their customers" would not work once they have been contacted (preferably by
snail mail).

The way i understand it, is that the DMCA has not made hosting copyright
infriging materal more illegal, but instead it has clarified that ISPs
are not liable when they quickly remove infriging content.

What we lack is a volunteer doing such things ...
do you volunteer?

If someone does, i suggest that the exact wording of such mails should be
discussed first.
We could create a private ffmpeg-legal ML but then i guess we could just
discuss it here as well.
They should at least contain IMHO
* A clear unambious request of what to remove
* A clear unambious and verifyable proof that the material violates
  our copyright
* A clear unambious statement that we are the copyright holders of it

Either way, we should start sending out such mails to the long time infrigers
on the tracker before the more recent ones.

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes