[FFmpeg-devel] Would like to work on lavf-based concatenation tool for GSoC qualification

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 2 19:48:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:01:01AM -0400, Geza Kovacs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 14:17 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > >

> > > I've attached a patch that adds said functionality as an ffmpeg
> > > command-line option. I assume there's a more clean way to do this than
> > > by introducing a conditional at the beginning of av_encode(); I assume I
> > > would probably want to modify opt_format and opt_output_file in the
> > > final version instead, but for the sake of time this seemed to work best
> > > with the code I had already written for now.
> >
> > Id like to clarify that the goal of the qualification tasks is to
> > get code into ffmpeg svn that is usefull for ffmpeg
> >
> > hacks will not reach svn
> >

> Thanks for the response, that was exactly what I was concerned about.
> What, then, is considered a "non-hack"-ish way of accomplishing this? In
> this case, one has to override the output format settings based on
> information from the input format settings, so I don't believe this
> could be done optimally within opt_format or opt_output_file, or whether
> this should be done, in a "non-hack"-ish way, within opt_format() and
> opt_output_file() or instead within av_encode().

Well, its your qualification task, you picked it, also iam not the one who
added this to the small tasks page.
also forget adding any
if(concatenation) do_something_entirely_different()
anywhere. chances are this is buggy broken, wrong and code duplication

it could be done in ffmpeg.c & ffplay.c, it could be done as a new demuxer
and there might be other ways.

> ... defining _GNU_SOURCE...
For the love of all that is holy, and some that is not, don't do that.
-- Luca & Mans