[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo

Christian Iversen chrivers
Sat Apr 4 17:41:13 CEST 2009

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> i think the way CVS did versioning was more flexible and powerfull, and
> no iam not saying the cvs implementation was good, with its non atomic
> changes, lack of move&copy tracking per directory commit mails ...
> Fixing the CVS implementation and storing the file path in the RCS files
> instead of storing the RCS files in the path would have made cvs more
> powerfull than svn is today. (that is instead of a tree with the rcs files
> as leafs, there could be a flat list of rcs files where each stores where
> in the tree it is under which name for each revission or if that revission
> existed rather outside of the tree in a difeferent repo)
> And with a RCS file upload/download (aka push/pull) cvs could have been
> used offline and distributed ...
> i never understood why people droped cvs and started to work on svn that
> is in several ways inferrior (less secure, no moving between repos, database
> shit, ...)

I'm interested, how is it less secure? I've never used CVS a lot - what
kind of support did it have for moving stuff between reposes?

At least the nfs fsfs storage model works pretty well. BDB-related
troubles have been gone for a long time.

Besides, having one central RCS file work as a lookup-table is not
terribly different from the current SVN approach. Also, if I understand
you correctly, your approach wouldn't make it that much easier to merge
two repositories. Specialized tools would still be required, no?

--
Med venlig hilsen
Christian Iversen