[FFmpeg-devel] H.263 packetizing into RTP

Martin Storsjö martin
Mon Apr 6 15:17:30 CEST 2009

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:31:19PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > > yes, also to clarify things as maintainer of the h263 decoder and error
> > > concealment code.
> > > the only thing that matters is
> > > that the code that splits at arbitrary byte boundaries tries to
> > > split at slice/gob boundaries when possible. That is it could try to put
> > > as many complete gobs/slices in a packet and only if it cannot put a
> > > single complete one in there, put a partial one in there.
> >
> > Ok; thanks for clarifying this (this is one of the aspects I was not
> > sure about). I'll not commit the patch until someone implements this
> > kind of frame splitting.
> >
> > If someone can provide pointers and/or hints (I do not know much about
> > H.263 syntax... For example, can I identify slice/gob boundaries by
> > searching for 0x000001, or similar? Can ff_find_start_code() be used for
> > this purpose?) I'll work on this... Otherwise I'll wait for someone else
> > to do the job.
>
> see
> h263_encode_gob_header()
> and
> ff_h263_resync()

I probably know even less about H.263 syntax than Luca, but took a look at
those functions and read up a bit on it; is it ok to look for two
consecutive zero bytes? That requires the startcode to be byte-aligned,
though. By setting rtp_payload_size in the AVCodecContext, the encoder
outputs suitable GBSCs.

The first attached patch tries to implement this...

As a related side note, I noticed that the documentation for the command
line parameter -ps (which sets rtp_payload_size) seems to be incorrect. It
states that this value is in bits, even though it actually is in bytes. I
traced this back to SVN rev 962 where the wording "in bits" was added,
even though the rtp_payload_size was used as a number of bytes, even back
then. Attached a patch to fix this.

// Martin