[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Janne Grunau janne-ffmpeg
Mon Apr 6 15:42:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 02:18:07PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Strangely, some of the other distributed revision control systems do
> >> implement version numbers. ?At least mercurial and bazaar IIRC, which in
> >> practice amounts to everyone except git.
> >
> > By "rest of the world" I meant "the rest of the world that uses git".
> > But in any case, mercurial+bazaar are the minority here; most people
> > use git.
>
> Bitkeeper uses revision numbers, and it's a royal mess when merging
> branches.  I've enver used hg or bazaar, nor would I ever consider
> doing so.

mercurial uses per repository revision numbers. I.e. Anyone doing commits
or merges will have different revision numbers for the same commit. IMHO
it creates more trouble than it helps since most people will use the
revision number. If it's a revision from the main repository, developers
just have to look the hash of the commit up in the main repository. If
not it will cause confusion or everyone has still ask for the hash of
the commit. So one could just use the unique hash (or a 6-12 long
prefix).

Janne