[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Mon Apr 6 16:00:44 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Reimar D?ffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 02:18:07PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> writes:

>> > By "rest of the world" I meant "the rest of the world that uses git".
>> > But in any case, mercurial+bazaar are the minority here; most people
>> > use git.
>>
>> Bitkeeper uses revision numbers, and it's a royal mess when merging
>> branches. ?I've enver used hg or bazaar, nor would I ever consider
>> doing so.
>
> Well, I am not sure that there is a need for revision numbers, but
> particularly for FATE the "necessary" thing IMO is a way to uniquely
> identify a specific version that
> 1) allows ordering
> 2) allows to know if there were any changes in-between
>
> I guess 1) could be solved by using
> year-month-day-hour-minute-second
> as one big number, 2) is a bit harder though you could
> append the "revision" of the next version or something.
> Wasn't some revision control system supposed to use fractional revision
> numbers which would break only one of the two revision number systems
> when merging (actually it could be used to keep all "mostly" intact by
> e.g. merging revisons 542 and 934 into 542.934 etc.)?

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned this in another thread, but, have
you checked 'git describe'?
$ git describe --tags
v1.6.2.2-412-g8d6eafb

--