[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Mon Apr 6 16:04:28 CEST 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:40:22PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> So git the perfect tool... as long as you write your own magic shell scripts
>>> to work around its shortcomings?
>> If you want to do non-standard things you need your own scripts.
>> Strangely the rest of the world is doing fine with SHA-1 id's.
>
> Strangely, some of the other distributed revision control systems do
> implement version numbers.  At least mercurial and bazaar IIRC, which in
> practice amounts to everyone except git.

git gives you an hash or a revision from the latest tag (see
git-describe), that should be perfectly fine for every purpose and
doesn't have the problems you have with using plain revision numbers in
a dvcs...

refer to the git ml why having a plain revision is problematic.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member