[FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] fix speex sample

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 9 04:46:34 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 06:30:56PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:26:11PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> >> On 4/8/2009 5:02 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:21:32PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier
> >>> wrote:
> >>>> On 4/8/2009 3:46 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>> [...]
> >>>>>> The multiple stsd feature is implemented, and I submited a
> >>>>>> patch, it depends on one seeking fix in aviobuf.c, for
> >>>>>> which I also sent a patch.
> >>>>>> 
> >>>>>> Not mentioning that it takes me approximately 1 day to
> >>>>>> address issues on roundup relative to mov/mp4. Btw you are
> >>>>>> listed as maintainer for mov as well ;)
> >>>>>> 
> >>>>>> This is effectively a different kind of maintainership.
> >>>>> it is not, you can look at avidec/enc and its also pretty bug
> >>>>> free, or msmpeg4 or the mpeg1/2 decoder ...
> >>>> msmpeg4 that should be true.
> >>>> 
> >>>> Mpeg2 decoder has an important bug IMHO since some time. I
> >>>> reported it, and libmpeg2 does not have this bug and decodes
> >>>> correctly the first 2 frames. I lack some knowledge of the
> >>>> surrounding code, but I tried to work on it at least. It should
> >>>> not take you much time to figure out the problem I guess.
> >>> thats a feature request not a bug, its something very well known
> >>> since the code was written.
> >> What was your argument about other implementation supporting it ? 
> >> Oh yes, users will stop using yours to use the one supporting it.
> >> 
> >> FYI, many of my samples use this mechanism, I just didn't really
> >> realize it, I thought it was just broken link but finally, I
> >> discovered that libavcodec deliberately _skip_ 2 frames, even
> >> without telling you !
> >> 
> >> Solution is simple, until fixed I will use libmpeg2.
> > 
> > poor libmpeg2
> I'd say poor libavcodec, loosing one heavy user because of lousy
> maintainership.

not implementing all feature requests != lousy maintainership
if you want this feature, you can implement it.

> IMHO you clearly shouldn't treat your users this way.
> > [...]
> >>>>> flv is a little worse but not much and then there is mpeg-ts
> >>>>> & ffserver for which i belive you are maintainer now, they
> >>>>> are not even remotely close to bugfree not even close to
> >>>>> flvdecs bugfreeness.
> >>>> AFAIK I'm not official maintainer of mpeg-ts, but I don't mind
> >>>> being maintainer and fixing bugs.
> >>> i see, so i will suspent all my work on mpeg-ts now
> >> I didn't know you were working on TS, may I see the patch ?
> > 
> > There where plenty of patches on the ML that received no real review
> > or no suggestions on how to make them acceptable IIRC. I did not mean
> > i have some unfinished patch for TS
> Well you'd better start working on them, then.

iam not ts maintainer nor are these my patches
i tried to keep track of them long time ago and occasionally pinged them
as mans was missing or forgeting about the patches.
there where some that i did pick up and rewrote so they passed mans review
but as your oppinion on maintainership is that the maintainer will fix
patches thats clearly not needed anymore.

> >>>> FFserver is certainly not bug free, however all roundup issue
> >>>> were closed and fixed AFAIK, and it's working quite ok for me.
> >>> issue238 and 797 have ffserver in the title and are open
> >> Humm right, it seems issue 238 is way old, I was not maintainer
> >> back in the days, and the version is damn old, I will close it.
> >> 
> >> About 797, user should use AVOption ab now anyway so this is not an
> >> issue :)
> >> 
> >> Thanks for helping me closing roundup issues.
> > 
> > its not hard to close issues while asking the user if its still
> > buggy, one could close anything that way
> Definitely not, if the issue is still present, user will reopen. I
> believe the issue is fixed, but if not, I'll fix it.
> I think basing debugging and work on a report that is more than one year
> old, considering work that has been done on FFserver recently will not
> be efficient.

i agree but chances are the user "moved on" and isnt using ffserver anymore
or has no time/setup/interrest to test after so much time

> >>> also there is no working ffserver regression test, you might have
> >>> closed all issues but as long as ffserver cant produce non random
> >>> output its not too usefull or did you fix this?
> >> I produces stable results here, however I'd be happy to receive
> >> feedback on failures.
> > 
> > if its stable, why is it not enabled in make test ?
> Ask make test maintainer. 

IMHO its the maintainer of the specific codec/demuxer/tool who should add
a test.
noone else can know better if the part is ready or not.

> Why aren't ac3 decoder tests enabled for rm ?

all written in the source:

if [ -n "$do_ac3" ] ; then
do_audio_encoding ac3.rm "" -vn
# gcc 2.95.3 compiled binaries decode ac3 differently because of missing SSE support
#$tiny_psnr $pcm_dst $pcm_ref 2 1024 >> $logfile

or in 3 words, float rounding differences
fix is welcome

> >>> and i refuse you to take co maintainership because you commited
> >>> broken code already
> >> No, it's not broken. It fixed the issue and I'm still waiting for
> >> your "correct" fix since your last proposition does _not_ work.
> >> 
> >> Furthermore you guessed something which was wrong since flv demuxer
> >>  could not even return empty packets. How good is this ?
> >> 
> >> Then I gave you the sample.
> >> 
> >>> and submited a broken patch to flvdec thats 2 bad out of 2.
> >> No patch is _perfectly_ fine, and it actually fixes the problem. 
> >> You just twisted specs to fit your arguments here, even Mike 
> >> acknowledged my argument.
> > 
> > what argument? your patch is broken no matter which way you define
> > sample_rate
> No it's not broken, it always set sample for speex to 16khz, this is
> _right_, no matter how much you twist the spec.

there are 2 things
1. the sample rate of speex
2. the patch

> >> Please stop the FUD.
> > 
> > please accept that you are not and will not be flvdec maintainer or
> > co maintainer. This decisson is final.

> Btw your so well FLV demuxer output packet with different codec in the
> same stream. Do you plan to fix this or will you wait for 6 months ?

i have no plans to fix this, but i certainly will review and comment on
a patch fixing it.

> Btw I added H264/AAC/SPEEX demuxing to flv demuxer, I added h264 and AAC
> to flv muxer. This is why Mike forwards me bugs.

bugs should be entered in roundup
i mean you complain that i dont fix bugs but i
never saw these bugreports. How can i if mike sends them to you via
private mail?

Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/attachments/20090409/7b18a50b/attachment.pgp>

More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list