[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] WC3 decoder without AVPaletteControl

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Wed Apr 15 19:54:01 CEST 2009

On 4/15/2009 10:43 AM, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:22:26AM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> On 4/11/2009 3:19 PM, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>>> attached patch implements this.
>>> It is a bit ugly because it adds a lot of seeking to the demuxer, but I
>>> think for such a fringe format there is no point in extra work for avoiding it.
>>> The patch also adds two helper functions, one to increase the size of a
>>> packet and one that appends data read from a file to a possibly already
>>> filled packet.
>>> I expect that there will be more that a few bugs still, e.g. while the
>>> video looks visually ok in ffplay the FATE regressions do not match at
>>> all.
>> Well it seems that palette could be stored in extradata in it's read in
>> wv3_read_header, a way to pass palette change information through
>> AVPacket would be needed.
>
> I don't see a point in inventing a new encoding format when it's all
> been done already, I am just moving a lot of parsing and decoding
> functions from the demuxer to the decoder where they would have belonged
> in the first place.
> The extradata idea _might_ work for wc3, but it would leave exactly the
> "same" issues with other formats like idcin plus due to lack of
> specification we don't know if new palettes can't be added in the middle
> of the file.

A survey must be conducted. There is no point going to an ugly solution
until we have a good picture of what is really needed.

I'm pretty this av_grow_packet ugliness is useless.

>> Also AVPacket could have ->palette_data field which seems a lot cleaner
>> to me and Ronald.
>
> Sure it is because you are completely ignoring the cases where it
> doesn't work (muxing to non-AVI always, and either you have to decode
> the palette etc. in the demuxer or it won't even work for remuxing into
> AVI - muxing for almost all these formats in the only way to get an
> index and thus quick and reliable seeking btw.).

Please enumerate the formats and problems it might cause.
Muxing to .mov is pretty much different than .mkv and stream copy case
is important too, by altering the packet you are causing many sides effects.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no