[FFmpeg-devel] Apache licensed AMR library, patches

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Apr 15 19:55:34 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:35:54PM +0300, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> - The license of the codec code is Apache 2.0, which unfortunately isn't
>   (L)GPL2 compatible, afaik. It is compatible with (L)GPL3 though, and
>   it's at least legally redistributable, in contrast to the current
>   libamr-nb/wb.

Does it matter much? We would only be linking against those, so the only
case where I can see it matter is distributing a GPL v2-only application
together with libamr libraries.
I admit that there might be a bit of a problem if the AMR code could be
unintentionally linked in statically, but otherwise it would only be a
conflict between libamr and some other non-FFmpeg code and only if
distributed together, so does it concern us?
I admit this argument would have applied to the current libamr code,
too...
Of course it would also be possible to ask if the code be dual-licensed
as GPLv2+Apache or not...