[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Should we use doxygen markup?

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Sun Apr 19 14:58:43 CEST 2009

Hi,

as recently discussed.

Read for example:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/88912/focus=88966
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/83525/focus=83592

Pros:
* improves doxygen (LaTeX/HTML) rendering.

* it may result more clear in some specific situation even for plain
  docs. For example:
  "reads the foo string \p string"
  vs
  "reads the foo string from string"

  helps to distinguish the use of a term for referring to a parameter
  rather to the generic meaning of its name.

Cons:
* it may make plain docs less readable, and most people read plain
  docs rather than autogenerated ones.

I'm biased towards keeping them, while Michael wants to remove them
all, what's certain is that we should try to keep a consistent style
in docs, so if we decide for removing them we should remove them
everywhere, or strive to use them (at least in new doxyies).

I'd like to hear what people think, especially from Diego.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Frenzy & Faboulous Mournful Puritan Easy Gospel