[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Libfaac not LGPL?

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Tue Apr 28 01:45:37 CEST 2009

We had some discussions on #ffmpeg-devel and I asked the folks at #gnu
about this:

It appears that libfaac, despite declaring itself LGPL2.1, contains
quite a few licenses... many of which are completely incompatible with
the LGPL, such as the above.

In theory, it still may be legal to distribute, as the LGPL linking
exception *may* cover the linking of .c files with non-free licenses
with .c files that have free licenses.  However, either way, this
places FAAC squarely under non-GPL territory... such that ffmpeg
should require --enable-nonfree to link to it.

Dark Shikari