[FFmpeg-devel] Remove some optimizations from Makefile

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Aug 2 19:10:24 CEST 2009

ami_stuff <ami_stuff at o2.pl> writes:

>> Please don't waste my time with emulators.  There is no point
>> whatsoever in running FFmpeg on an emulator.
>
> Ok.
>
> 32x32->64 asm code is tested on the real hardware, so let's see if it can be
> included for FFmpeg.

Do you mean the stuff from my m68k git branch?

>> > I have no real hardware here,
>>
>> If you don't even have hardware, why do you care so much about this
>> obsolete architecture?
>
> Because it's the fastest 68060 CPU produced by Motorola used with
> classic (m68k) Amiga and I want to make FFmpeg run as fast as
> possible on it like with 32x32->64 code.

Not saying you shouldn't... I have quite a collection of weird
hardware myself.

> PPC is also obsolete, but people optimize the code for it like you ;)

PPC is very different.  There are a lot of PPC systems still in active
use which are perfectly capable of doing useful things with FFmpeg.
PPC also has things like Altivec making assembler optimisations
worthwhile.  Even the fastest m68k systems are so slow that running
FFmpeg on them is an academic exercise at best.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com