[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle game resource files?

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Fri Aug 7 15:37:26 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Andrew
Brampton<andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> 1) Would codecs for such a old game be wanted/allowed? I see that
> FFmpeg already supports a number of old games.

Yes, if clean enough. :-).

> 2) The game stores multiple images/sounds/videos in a single resource
> file. I don't know how this would work with FFmpeg. For example, if a
> resource file has multiple images, would conceptually the resource
> file be a video, with each image being a different frame? The same
> with a resource file full of audio samples, would each audio sample
> perhaps be a different track? Or would ffmpeg only work with the
> image/sounds/videos once they had been extracted from the resource
> files by another tool?

This touches upon what Geza's doing. A single media (what you'd
consider the equivalent of "an AVI file", or "a DVD title", but not "a
DVD disc" or "my iTunes playlist") would be represented by an
AVFormatContext.  Multiple of these would likely have to be
represented as a playlist, and I think Geza had some code for that in
an earlier patch. You'd want to look at that and coordinate for a
common solution.

Cheers,
Ronald