[FFmpeg-devel] Channel layouts for aac encoding/decoding and vorbis decoding

Frank Barchard fbarchard
Mon Aug 10 20:04:00 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Jason Tackaberry <tack at urandom.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 14:24 +0200, Robert Swain wrote:
> In the interest of getting MPlayer in a functional state with respect to
> channel layouts, I'm wondering how likely things are to change in the
> next while.  If the current input/output layouts for vorbis and aac are
> likely to remain unchanged in the medium term, it makes sense to adhere
> to the current layouts.

Its taking effort in every player to adapt layouts for each codec.  Some
ideas for simplifying this:
1. ask vorbis to adopt aac layout, since these will be 2 common formats for
the next little while. 5.1 support is not all that common yet, so it may
still be possible to change the spec. or
2. make ffmpeg vorbis decoder swizzle to aac layout.  aac is more ingrained
with strong hardware support and software support.  So I'd recommend
adopting it as the internal layout.  That, or wav
3. make all formats decode 5.1 to wav layout, which is well defined and
supported on Windows.  This would allow data to be played back directly with
waveout, and to transcode from one format to another with minimal client
code.
4. add avfilter support to change layout to a consistent layout.  For media
players and tools like ffmpeg2theora, just the conversion from any layout to
a consistent one is needed.