[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] please vote for our NGO name

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Dec 16 00:03:16 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 02:48:21PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 02:33 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> >>Sorry but why is that ?
> >
> >Because I and others have stressed this from day one?
>
> Could you please enumerate "others" ?
> Besides you, I don't recall seeing anybody except maybe Reimar, but
> afterwards it seems to me that Michael and Reimar agreed that the
> focus must be on FFmpeg since nothing has been decided on how to
> handle other projects.

I don't see the problem with an FFmpeg name either way. The "charter"
should not be FFmpeg-specific, though even that in principle would allow
covering anyone using FFmpeg to a significant extend, not to mention
projects like MPlayer from which FFmpeg directly derived code.
In the interest of less confusion for everyone wanting to donate a more
generic name may be helpful, but personally I fail to see the big importance.

> >>Aren't the NGO efforts initiated by FFmpeg developpers ?
> >
> >The overlap between MPlayer and FFmpeg developers may not be quite as
> >big as it used to be, but it still exists.

Technically I think it's still 100% (counting commit rights).
Which by the current rules actually would mean all MPlayer developers
including some documenters/translators could vote on this :-)