[FFmpeg-devel] libavdevice: PTS stability and risks of drift

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon Feb 2 16:56:19 CET 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
>> I do not know what to say about the "gettimeofday() vs monotonic clock" issue,
>> since I do not know NTP too much (can it really cause such large "jumps" in the
>> system time?).
>
> yes, if your time is off by an hour, it can change it by an hour

Of course ;-)
My question was more if NTP allows the host time to diverge so much from
the reference... As I said, I do not know much about NTP, but I'd naively
expect that it corrects the time often enough, so only small adjustments
are needed... But maybe I am expecting too much from it.

> for ffmpeg, id say that if the admin configures his system in a way that
> allows such things to happen then thats the admins problem, such system is
> not fit for capturing audio or video.

I fully agree here.

			Thanks,
				Luca