[FFmpeg-devel] Longevity Test Report

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Feb 4 13:08:23 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:52:57PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:13:24PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:00:53PM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> > > I know at least one ticket where this kind of tool would have helped
> > > alot. Or we could use memwatch.
> >
> > Neither your suggestions nor memwatch allow to get a backtrace AFAICT.
>
> what backtrace do you want that you dont get?
> valgrind can provide pretty backtraces when you compile without
> -fomit-frame-pointer and possibly -g<large number>

Uh, his suggestions were av_leak_malloc(size,__FILE__,__LINE) and
memwatch, valgrind was mine. I was arguing that the suggested solutions
are worse than the existing once, including gdb.
And I have seen more cases where removing -fomit-frame-pointer hindered
debugging (due to hiding bugs) than where it helped, so I consider that really
bad advice. Inlining is far more of a issue for debugging IMO.
-g3 is advisable though.