[FFmpeg-devel] lavfi state of affairs

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Fri Feb 6 08:43:44 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:02:24PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:36:55PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > On 2/5/2009 12:21 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > Sorry but if _you_ want imgconvert dropped, _you_ have to make some
> > efforts too.
>
> Dont you think its a little offensive to ask the one who probably spend more
> efforts on sws than anyone else to make some effort "too" ?
> Also i dont mind fixing technical issues and cleanliness ones, but i will
> not rewrite the GPL code. There are people who want the yuv table generator
> to be under LGPL, they can rewrite it but IMHO they should not block the
> removial of cruft if they decide not to.
> And i know you are an excelent developer, you could likely rewrite the darn
> table generator in less than 2 hours.

Well, I think I can do that (if I find the requirements to it).

[...]
> > Also libswscale does not support palette output, this makes GIF encoder
> > _useless_.
>
> swscale supports 4bit and 8bit palette output with a fixed palette
> imgconvert supportes 8bit with a fixed palette
> swscale supports ordered dither providing MUCH higher quality over imgconvert
> imgconvert uses only 216 of 256 colors, swscale uses all.
> imgconvert does 6 divisions and modulo operations per pixel for pal8
> output swscales does 0
> and gif.c has the imgconvert palette hardcoded. Which id say is not such
> a bright idea ...
> besides imgconvert calls functions from gif.c (much cleaner design than
> sws, which is selfcontained ;)

Now we have libavcodec/elbg.[ch] which cries "Wanna have good palette for each frame?
Ooh, pick me!"
That's another trivial patch (for imgconvert though, for swscale some
dependencies should be resolved) noone has produced yet :(
And personally I'd like to have decent PAL8 encoding support.