[FFmpeg-devel] lavfi state of affairs

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Fri Feb 6 20:45:38 CET 2009

On 2/6/2009 1:37 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> kOn Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:55:24PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:

>>> the docs dont say that there is a palette for BGR8 but they also dont
>>> say that there is no palette ...
>>>
>>> the docs dont say that the 8bit values are an index into a palette,
>>> but if there where a palette they could be an index into it.
>>>
>>> You can see BGR8 as a 3bit red +3bit green +2bit blue truecolor
>>> format or a 8bit paletted format, it is both.
>> All this has perfectly its place in avutil.h.
>> How can someone know all this ?
>
> i will clarify it, i was unaware that it was so poorly documented / non
> obvious
>

>> Besides, a format having a palette should ideally be named PAL* IMHO.
>
> i disagree, the names are systematically choosen and they are clear.
> PIX_FMT_PAL8_GRAY is not going to clarify anything and is ugly
> compared to PIX_FMT_GRAY16

>>> There is a 8 bit paletted format (PIX_FMT_PAL8) it can have an
>>> arbitrary palette. There is a 8 bit paletted format (PIX_FMT_BGR8)
>>> that has a single systematic 884 palette. There is a 8 bit paletted
>>> format (PIX_FMT_XXX) that has a single systematic 666 palette.
>>>
>>> imgconvert supports outputting PIX_FMT_XXX (while using the enum
>>> value of PIX_FMT_PAL8 for it incorrectly due to lack of a
>>> PIX_FMT_XXX) swscale supports outputting PIX_FMT_BGR8 neither support
>>> arbitrary palettes nor the others systematic palette if they support
>>> PIX_FMT_PAL8 is a matter of philosophy you could say both do because
>>> each support a systematic paletted 8bit format or you could say
>>> neither does because neither supports an arbitrary palette

>>> iam not going to fix imgconvert which would mean make it reject PAL8
>>> add a RGB666 and make it accept that instead and then add RGB666,
>>> PAL8, BGR8 and RGB8 to gif
>>>
>>> i will simply ignore imgconvert and fix gif+swscale i hope this will
>>> end this discussion because honestly iam sick of it.
>> I'm sad to hear that finally explaining non obvious parts makes you
>> being sick.
>
> what makes me sick is that you talk about bugs in gif.c and utils.c as
> if they where bugs in swscale.

I disagree about what you consider "bugs".

Documentation (avutil.h) was mentioning that PAL8 had a palette and gif
needs one, other formats were not mentioned to have a palette,
libswscale is more complete than imgconvert for sure, so it extended
features.

>> [...]
>>
>> I'm now even more relunctant to make libswscale the default with no
>> clear documentation. PIX_FMT_BGR8 must be documented also.
>
> the PIX_FMT system is common to swscale and imgconvert
> these kind of comments are just inflamatory, please stop or ill start
> flaming too
>
> please stop picking random issues unrelated to
> swscale and construct them as anything affecting swscale more than
> imgconvert!

IMHO issues were not random, now I reckon that I did not fully
understand BGR8/RGB8 because of lack of documentation, this is now
fixed, thanks to your efforts, so in the end I think this is a benefit
for everybody using pix_fmt API and libswscale.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no