[FFmpeg-devel] lavfi state of affairs

Robert Swain robert.swain
Sat Feb 7 00:39:00 CET 2009

Hello,

I apologise for being late in this discussion, I was busy with other things.

2009/2/5 Baptiste Coudurier <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com>:
> On 2/5/2009 12:21 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> I'll relaunch the flames but still, I know _many_ people thinking that
> libswscale is a _mess_. IMHO if you want it adopted you have to make
> some efforts toward this direction too, ie making libswscale cleaner and
> easier to code in.
>
> Also libswscale does not support palette output, this makes GIF encoder
> _useless_. Also IIRC there is problem on 64bits arch with rounding or
> something like that.

Apologies, when I mentioned this issue, I hadn't realised it had been
fixed already.

https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue222

> Imgconvert is _complete_, simpler, easier to code on, albeit a lot slower.

To my eyes, swscale does look a mess. But, I haven't looked at it in
depth and I haven't looked at it in about 2 years. And I'd rather have
significantly faster code but much harder to understand code than not.

I think my complaints about using the API can be easily solved by
documentation. There's nothing to flame about here, it's just a case
of doing it.

Had I joined this thread earlier, I might have been more aggressive,
but as it is, I think we should focus on doing stuff and making
progress so we can drop these deprecated APIs and transition to the
new ones. TODO list anyone?

Rob