[FFmpeg-devel] VC-1 interlaced stream support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Feb 7 13:29:47 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:46:05AM +0200, Kostya wrote:
[...]
> > My question is: Which parts of interlaced streams aren't supported. Is it
> > just the actual pixel manipulations (IDCT, MoCo, ...) that are missing, or
> > are parts of surface management and/or picture/field header parsing missing
> > too?
> >
> > I'm hoping that since with VDPAU all the low-level bitstream parsing and
> > actual decode work is performed by VDPAU and not ffmpeg, I should be able to
> > persuade ffmpeg to hand off the frames easily.
> >
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> Almost everything for handling interlaced data is missing - including header
> parsing. And since FFmpeg developers are all evil I'm not sure I allow handling
> interlaced content solely by some third-party SW/HW without decent support in
> native lavc decoder.

yes, i second this
if nvidia wants interlaced VC1 support in ffmpeg through VDPAU, then a LGPL
compatible patch that adds native SW decoding of it to ffmpeg first is welcome

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire