[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg.org clean up

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Feb 16 20:13:54 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:02:36PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:37:57AM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > >
> > > Forget the cross-browser constraint.  Just make sure it follows the
> > > relevant standards.  Browsers will eventually catch up, except maybe
> > > IE, the use of which should be discouraged anyway.
> >
> > So, adhere to standards that no one uses,
>
> I beg your pardon?  The rendering engines of Firefox,  Safari and Opera
> adhere closely to standards and even IE is catching up by leaps and
> bounds.  This statement comes straight out of the 1990s...

And before I get misunderstood here: Websites are much much more
standards-compliant than they used to nowadays.  And the websites of
FOSS projects have followed standards since the dawn of time.

You should not compare us with commercial sites or news outlets that
depend on catering to the largest possible share of the unwashed masses.
We have a very special and technically competent audience.

If you want to make sure your site works correctly, run it through the
W3C validator and test it in the gecko and webkit rendering engines.
Going out of your way to accomodate backwards IE is a waste of resources
and makes the problem worse instead of improving things in the long run.

Diego