[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg.org clean up

Robert Swain robert.swain
Mon Feb 16 22:45:02 CET 2009

2009/2/16 Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:02:36PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> We have no customers to scare away and no external requests to satisfy.
>> Just do the right thing, let the IE-using lamers feel the pain.  They
>> will switch browsers or upgrade if it is improtant to them.
>>
>> I really don't know why you even want to bother...
>
> let me as project leader say it once, hard and simple
> if whoever designs the webpage knowingly designs it in a way that doesnt work
> on a major browser. That is for example using a feature that is known not to
> be supported on a major browser in way that is mandatory to view the page,
> then i will replace that person by someone else who has the competence to
> write plain html 3.2/4.0 without weird features.
> And iam not saying iam against using SVG/canvas but if someone wants it he
> also has to implement a fallback (png) for the cases where its not supported.

I don't expect to do anything complicated. I'm not a web developer but
I am familiar with some web development. If there are any issues in
particular browsers that can be worked around, please let me know.

At the moment (and all yesterday) I'm bashing my head against a wall
because of Makefiles and sed being awkward. I've worked around the sed
issue by not using sed and rather using multiple files + cat which
should be much simpler. So, now I just have a Makefile issue. :/ I
have to stop myself from saying "I would have had this done yesterday
morning if I'd been using PHP" in my head. Even shell would be easier.
*sigh*

Regards,
Rob