[FFmpeg-devel] RTP PCM_MULAW packet size

Georges-Etienne Legendre legege
Thu Feb 19 12:05:30 CET 2009

On 19-Feb-09, at 3:16 AM, Alexandre FERRIEUX - FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL
wrote:

> As a side note, (I'm also interested in the answer as an aid to grasp
> the ffmpeg code), may I ask why you care ?

I'm trying to figure out why the audio stream on the other end is
choppy. With tests have done so far, the other end doesn't support
packets larger than 80 bytes (or 10 ms for PCM MULAW). If I use the
pkt_size, the problem is still there (not the same choppy audio
though), but since the audio is choppy, my other hypothesis is that
packets are sent in block... I need to validate that.

> Of course there are bursts, but the average bitrate is respected.
> And on
> a realistic IP network (especially mobile), this may even be the
> result
> of an intervening network component (a buffering gateway). So even if
> you twist ffmpeg's arm hard enough to do the very smooth sprinkling
> you
> are after, it may still be completely wasted by external constraints.

I'll rethink about that, thanks for your answer.

--
Georges-Etienne Legendre, Jr Eng.