[FFmpeg-devel] Some footage for H264 on kdenlive.org

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos
Wed Feb 25 09:29:35 CET 2009

Loren Merritt <lorenm <at> u.washington.edu> writes:

> > I severely doubt there is any processor where multithreaded h264 decoding
> > will make the difference between usable and non-usable, except that the user
> > may then use deblocking on B-frames while editing in real-time where he has
> > to live with P frames without loop-filter currently.
>
> You doubt there's a processor that gets more than 2x speedup from multithreaded
> h264 decoding? On the contrary, if you don't get nearly 4x on a quadcore,
> you're doing something wrong. Because h264 decoding does have 4x parallelism
> possible, and it does not require duplicating any computations.

I thought there is always a small overhead when doing multithreaded
calculations, but I trust your judgement.

> Granted, any quadcore is probably also fast enough that it doesn't need
> multithreading in order to decode in realtime, is that the question?

Yes, thank you, that was what I tried to say.

Carl Eugen

Does current FFmpeg really compile on future quad-core MIPS processors?