[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Thu Jan 22 02:23:09 CET 2009

> 4. CONERN: --disable-patents.
>   "It would be nice to build FFmpeg with all patent encumbered
>    codecs/containers disabled."
>
>   Duh, this is can be achieved today by disabling everything except RAW.
>
>   Would require lots of work to tag pieces of the code with the corresponding
>   patent number(s) and expiry dates.
>
>   Such an effort would never be complete, or carry authority. It would
>   therefore be of academic value only.
>
>   Which country? Only U.S patents? Probably.
>
>   Somebody who cares about patents would need to do this.

I think such an option, even if someone was willing to do it, would be
completely antithetical and contrary to the goals of the ffmpeg
project.  If Xiph or whoever want this sort of thing, they can
maintain it themselves and continue to doom themselves to utter
irrelevance while ffmpeg continues doing actual development on things
the rest of the world care about.

Dark Shikari