[FFmpeg-devel] mpeg2ts/udp --> broken display by set-top-box

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Thu Jan 22 02:46:05 CET 2009

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Baptiste Coudurier <baptiste.coudurier at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Alexandre FERRIEUX - FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am now using ffmpeg to stream video to a set-top-box:
>>>
>>> ./ffmpeg -i 134.wmv -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec mp2 -f mpegts
>>> udp://HOST:PORT\?pkt_size=1316
>>>
>>> What I see on the TV is a sequence of chunks of correct video and
>>>  (somewhat shorter) correct sound.
>>>
>>> Of course I first thought about a problem in the bitstream or TS
>>> muxer, but... if I receive the same UDP flow and concatenate the
>>> contents in a .ts file, that file is played perfectly by
>>> mplayer/ffplay/vlc.
>> Well, if the generated TS plays fine, this might indicate the TS is
>>  somehow correct.
>
> The TS playing on a PC means very little.

This is not false, however it seems VLC cares about the PCR and screws
the playback when something is wrong with it.

> It could still be overflowing buffers on the STB.

Yes, probably.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no