[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb
Thu Jan 22 12:31:24 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:30:21AM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote :
> > 5. CONCERN: Suitability of libavformat API
> >    Libavformat API is considered inadequate for 'tight' integration with
> >    gstreamer.
> >
> >    So presently there is a libavformat wrapper within gstreamer, but is not
> >    used by default. Gstreamer provides its own demuxers. This prohibits
> >    demuxing of all the gamer & special-interest formats that libavformat
> >    supports.
> VLC also rolls their own demuxers so I guess it has some valid points.

VLC has his own limited subset of demuxers but has also a working demuxer module
that use libavformat. This doesn't prevent VLC from reading the
"special-interest formats that libavformat support", nor FLV, MXF, GXF
files where there isn't a VLC counterpart.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/