[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

compn tempn
Thu Jan 22 16:34:22 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:06:51 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:30:21AM +0100, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
>> Peter Ross wrote:
>> > 5. CONCERN: Suitability of libavformat API
>> >
>> >    Libavformat API is considered inadequate for 'tight' integration with
>> >    gstreamer.
>> >
>> >    A similar comment was recorded on the FFmpeg TODO/wiki list years ago
>> >    concerning MPlayer.
>> >
>> >    GOAL:       Make the libavformat API more appropriate to users
>> >    OBJECTIVES: Review the TODO list item, is it still valid?
>> >                Survey existing libavformat users; gather API requirements.
>>
>> VLC also rolls their own demuxers so I guess it has some valid points.
>
>Isn't this basically historic?  MPlayer also has its own set of
>demuxers, which are simply older than the libavformat demuxers.
>Switching demuxers now requires overcoming gravity and exchanging a
>well-known set of bugs for an unknown set.  This set may possibly be
>smaller, but still it may entail regressions..

i think the lavf asf demuxer could be used in default by mplayer, need
more testing.

mplayer now uses lavf mp4 demuxer by default. the only big bug i can
see is that the binary svq3 and qdm2 (and probably all binary codecs)
are broken (extradata problem?).

mkv demuxer should be switched to lavf, so aurel does not have to
maintain both of them. as soon as ffmpeg gets full subtitle support.

lavf avi demuxer had trouble with non-interleaved files? or was that
fixed?

-compn