[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jan 26 23:43:00 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:23:02PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>
> >> - less dependency of libavformat on libavcodec would be welcome
> >
> > I agree fully, but what exactly are you thinking of?
> > There are only two dependencies I know of: AVParser (which I think is
> > unavoidable) and that extradata formats may be incompatible (theora, and
> > IMHO it is justified to blame that on Ogg-braindeadness).
>
> Libavformat cannot export a stream for which there is no codec in
> lavc.

this is only partly true
the user app has to figure the codec out based on the container specific
codec_tag but thats not the same as impossible ...

besides i see no disadvabtages in just adding a codec_id for every codec if
someone did the work ...

and for new codecs that are entirely unknown to us the codec_tag is
everything we can give the user app anyway.

> This is annoying if you want to use a different, e.g. hardware,
> decoder.

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates