[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Jan 26 23:55:15 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:52:19PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Now something interesting happens: with the new ffmpeg snapshot
> libavutil is updated as well. It features a function rename
> (ff_gcd->av_gcd), which is according to the ffmpeg development policy
> OK, since it is a pure private function. However this rename breaks the
> libavcodec51 package horribly. [3]

Hm, can't libavcodec be linked to always use/prefer the libavutil version it
was linked to originally? Then bumping the minor version on such renames
would reduce the issue...

> In the end this means that libavutil49 must not be renamed until *all*
> applications linking against any library of ffmpeg has been recompiled.

I don't understand what you mean by "libavutil49 must not be renamed"...
Overall I wonder if it wasn't a really bad idea to give each libav*
library a different version number, or at least not bumping major
versions together, because it seems to me that is what
causes the issue in the end...