[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jan 27 11:01:03 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:10:12PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:23:45PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
[...]
> > - less dependency of libavformat on libavcodec would be welcome
>
> I agree fully, but what exactly are you thinking of?
> There are only two dependencies I know of: AVParser (which I think is
> unavoidable) and that extradata formats may be incompatible (theora, and
> IMHO it is justified to blame that on Ogg-braindeadness).

lavf also uses the matching decoder from lavc if all else fails to
gather things like width/height/samplerate

besides these, one could compile a lavc with all unneeded parts disabled
(all encoders, most/all decoders and just leave the parsers in there)
this way a lavc for lavf should be smaller

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data